Opinion on staff ‘wage’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First off all, this is my opinion. People will disagree with this and this topic is totally in the hands of the staff.

I've been thinking about the fact that staff members get paid around 30 ish euro per year or something. This is what I've been told. Honestly being staff should be more of a voluntary thing so there should be no irl bonus, instead give them in-game features. If staff members do care about getting around 30 euro. They should get off their chair and get a job in my opinion.

So you may ask why?

There would be a much greater budget to try different things, be more open-minded.

Perp has been the same for years, I feel like it doesn't take risks and avoids major changes, such as advertisement, I could be wrong of course.

Instead, I feel like a large chunk of the money from the current yearly payment to staff should go to devs. Devs do all the work behind the scene and I'm pretty sure it's difficult and sometimes demotivating for them to combine this with work etc.

If devs would get paid more than now, there will be a bigger demand for being a dev, there are many talented coders, etc in our community and I'm certain a larger reward would convince them to help the current devs.

If you have anything to say about this, reply to this thread.

Reaction score
Staff members have to deal with babysitting the children of the server. I don’t think you realise how petty some people can be. If a staff member does 1000 reports for a year, which most have done more, that works out at €0.03 per report. A small thank you is definitely deserved for most of the staff team.

I agree our developers our amazing and sometimes under appreciated but so are our staff members.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1235

They're not paid a wage

The payment is a one off as a thank you for them dedicating their time and energy into looking after the barnyard and farm animals that is perp.

Firstly, many who have been staff have jobs. Nobody does it for the 30 Euros, when most workers earn that in a day anyway?

Secondly, it's not like there's limited funds being used on staff instead of server development. Everything here is voluntary, any staff, dev or even owner can leave as and when they wish. There is usually a high turnover rate for staff members, which is totally fine. But a financial incentive, and indeed a christmas present from our own fat sack emptying santa that is @Fredy can entice some staff to actually join and stay.

There's already incentives in game too for staff.

Reaction score
Ok, but would it seriously demotivate you for being staff if u don't get your yearly 30 euro? Like you said they can stop being part of the staff whenever they want. It's their choice to babysit, if it isn't for you, you can just stop. I think devs would be more than happy to receive an additional 100 or something for their work.

There are people doing voluntary work in hospitals without any sort of reward? Which is way more intense I think than babysitting kids on perp.

Deleted member 1235

Ok, but would it seriously demotivate you for being staff if u don't get your yearly 30 euro? Like you said they can stop being part of the staff whenever they want. It's their choice to babysit, if it isn't for you, you can just stop. I think devs would be more than happy to receive an additional 100 or something for their work.
The Devs usually do the work in their free time?

As important as the Devs are, the staff team are the ones doing administrative work every day.

We'll release the Devs from their shackles once they release V5

Reaction score
the Dev job is as voluntary as being a staff member they are underappreciated but that can be changed by changing the mindset of certain community members. It's not like throwing them more money will make them more appreciated.

Reaction score
1a33a3e0812ab44f74036c204b75fc12.png

Image straight from the PM. As you can clearly see this is a gift, which can be politely declined as well if someone doesn't want to accept it. Furthermore, Fredy, Bolli, etc. don't have to provide this little treat for the staff team, they just choose to because they want to give back to the members of the staff team who work their asses off every single day. It's a way to say happy holidays and do something nice.

Considering the difficult times surrounding Coronavirus, some people might be out of jobs and literally can't work, and this 30 euros is something for them so that they can do something nice for their family, or even feed themselves.

I can also assure you @Harley that no one becomes a staff member with snagging a 30 euro Christmas gift in mind as it isn't the amount of money that matters, it is the thought. Fredy could offer a 100 euro Christmas gift and it still wouldn't change the fact that it is a gift, not a requirement. Literally, no staff member would be demotivated if Fredy said he wasn't going to give us 30 euros. Hell most people didn't even know this was a thing unless they had been staff before.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1235

Of course, if any staff wish not to take their 30 Euros, they can convert it into real money £ and donate it to the GoFundMe I created for @jay_ liposuction in the new year.

Reaction score
Of course, if any staff wish not to take their 30 Euros, they can convert it into real money £ and donate it to the GoFundMe I created for @jay_ liposuction in the new year.
i dont want to get VAC banned for using liposuction, i'm not a cheater

Reaction score

There are people doing voluntary work in hospitals without any sort of reward? Which is way more intense I think than babysitting kids on perp.
Are you actually attempting to compare like 24 perp staff members getting a 30 euro Christmas present to not paying hospital volunteers? Why don't you stop spending the money on your internet you use to connect to perp and instead donate it to hospitals then...

Reaction score
Are you actually attempting to compare like 24 perp staff members getting a 30 euro Christmas present to not paying hospital volunteers? Why don't you stop spending the money on your internet you use to connect to perp and instead donate it to hospitals then...
Nah thats not what I’m saying. People become staff to obviously help the community. Saving 30/staff would benefit the server even more and helps expanding further. And I didn’t say anything about donating money tf

Reaction score

Ok, but would it seriously demotivate you for being staff if u don't get your yearly 30 euro?

No.
I never joined the staff team as either a Moderator or Helper for IRL cash. I joined as a Helper initially because I enjoy assisting people with technical issues people have with gmod, and to answer questions people might have. That's what I see the Helper role as: Someone who's trusted enough to give out the correct assistance & information to questions received from new and old players alike.

When I joined as an Enforcer/Moderator, things took a weird turn for me. I've suddenly gone from helping people to punishing them. Definitely wasn't in my interests, but I gave myself about a month to think about it before considering stepping down. On top of that, when I applied for Enforcer I forgot the Raptor even was a reward for making it to Moderator, so there's that.
The thing about the staff team is that It's all down to their interests. Luckily perp has enough members of the community that are interested in moderating, developing or providing support for the server in their free time.

Reaction score
Nah thats not what I’m saying. People become staff to obviously help the community. Saving 30/staff would benefit the server even more and helps expanding further. And I didn’t say anything about donating money tf
I've also donated by myself more than that 30€ to hospitals or people in need. I don't take the money cause I need it to survive or I will step down if I don't get it. I'm even planning on spending most of the cash, if not all of it, on this community.

Reaction score
I've also donated by myself more than that 30€ to hospitals or people in need. I don't take the money cause I need it to survive or I will step down if I don't get it. I'm even planning on spending most of the cash, if not all of it, on this community.
I see this as a thank you from the owners, for helping them with administrative tasks, this isn't a wage at all. I also see this as some money I can use to return something to this community, something I plan on doing!

Reaction score
Its a gmod server. Staff arnt here for the money they are normally here for one of two things.
1, They like to have power and control. (not a good thing not a bad thing)
2, They generally care and want to help out around the community.

If you was in serious money issues or even money issues at all you wouldn't be playing on your computer admining a gmod server lets be real here. The money is a generous gift from fredy (Not sure if anyone else dips in ETC) He dosn't have to do this but more or less wants to do it. To show a thank you to the staff members who have gone through the bull shit of players and help keep the server running on a day to day basis.

Mim

Reaction score
An opinion from me on this thread,

First of all like Blackdown has said it is a gift to us from the owners, we don't have to accept it nor do we have to decline it. I don't know if you have ever been staff on any server but if you have you will understand that people are awkward, horrible and downright rude when all you are trying to do is make sure the experience for everyone is enjoyable and fair and following the rules. You get the people who are the first to report people when they break rules but as soon as they themselves break rules we get abuse thrown at us for daring to do our volunteering role.

Yes as you have stated we volunteer to be staff members but by volunteering, we put up with a lot of horrible people and a lot of abuse from players. So i don't think it's fair for you to judge wether or not we get a gift at the end of the year. Be one of us for a year and come back and see if you still agree with your post because I almost guarantee a gift like this goes along way to feeling appreciated when you rarely get that from the people you deal with everyday.

Reaction score
I think you misunderstand the amount of money they have to pay us. If gifting the staff members of their server made them bankrupt or meant they didn’t have enough to pay other expenses, they wouldn’t do it. Yes, our developers are and have been great, but their wages aren’t public so how can you comment on how much they get paid? For all we know they could get paid 20 euros per addition, etc.

I’d also like to politely ask, what are your intentions with this post? You say it’s aimed at staff, but it’s clear that none of our staff agree or would agree with you on this. As everyone has said, we work our asses off as glorified childminders a lot of the time, and the rest of that time is spent typing in F6 chats (sometimes as a glorified childminder!). Whilst what we do isn’t as praiseworthy or difficult as working in a hospital for example, we still do put a lot into our role(s) and the fact that the owners gift us 30 euros is very kind - but not an incentive. You wouldn’t work an entire year of your life just to get paid 30 euros, you’d get a job and make that in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.