StephenPuffs' Dev Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alright, so I figured I might as well make a development log so you fans of mine can see what I'm working on each day (if I remember to do this). I will not be accepting comments or willing to take suggestions at this time, as this is more for my own records and so you can see features being worked on not a discussion. So several things you see posted here are subject to change at a later date and as usual nothing is completely finalized as we have to adapt some stuff to better fit and work efficiently. Anyways, a lot has been changed behind the scenes from what you may be accustomed to, so some things I will put a brief description along with what I have done. Some of the screenshots provided may not be in the gamemode itself, just to help for display purposes, but the look is nearly identical so should have no real difference.

Here you can discuss and say what you feel about these changes: Stephen's dev log discussion

Reaction score
May 16, 2014

Vehicle paints (Note: All displayed cars have the same base color)
zdqDLMW.jpg
From left to right: Standard, gloss, matte, flaky gloss, pearlescent, smooth metallic, flaky metallic
Prices are yet to be determined

Metal types for your vehicle (Note: some cars this change is far more noticeable on than others, unfixable)
35RH2kL.jpg
From left to right: Chrome, bronze, gold, brass, onyx

Vehicle damage
nY39hMS.jpg

From left to right: Dirty, damaged, wrecked

When you crash your car and it is disabled, it will first go to the damaged state and change your vehicle's handling slightly, if you wreck it again in that state, it will go into the wrecked state, which will make it handle as though your car was spiked (this has been updated to be a better feel and more realistic handling as if it were). Upon getting it repaired at an NPC, it will switch to the dirty state which will need to be taken to the car wash which is a separate NPC. As seen before, there will be several different paint types available, however if your car is dirty is damaged, it will nullify these so if you want to show off your nice paint, you will need to have it washed.

Prices are yet to be determined of how to price accordingly, if it should be a flat rate or car dependent. The two levels will have different prices for sure though, so it's better to get it repaired before wrecking it further.

Law 9.6 states that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, while the "damaged" (center) state will be road legal, anyone seen driving the wrecked vehicle (right), except from car dealer across street to repair shop is liable to be pulled over and given a traffic infraction; if putting lives in danger by driving on highway or crossing sidewalks, jail time can be served.

If your car ever explodes due to a car bomb or sits in a fire for too long, it will go directly to the wrecked state.

Side note: These conditions do not go away from rejoining the server.

New cars (Note: Some displayed cars may be cars we have, but updated models)

uMqiAOS.jpg

I might be forgetting a few that have been updated but we already include, but generally speaking, those are all the new cars that will be added. Here's a full list of all our vehicles after inclusion. (Ones in bold have been changed/added that I can remember off the top of my head)
Bugatti Veyron SS
Bugatti Veyron 16.4
McLaren F1
Pagani Zonda C12

Ferrari Enzo
McLaren P1
Porsche Carrera GT

Lamborghini Reventon R
Ferrari 458 Spider
Bugatti EB110
Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Ferrari F50
Porsche 918 Spyder
Noble M600
Lamborghini Murcielago LP

Lamborghini Murcielago
Nissan GT-R SpecV
Lamborghini Diablo
Porche 997
Dodge Viper GTS

Aston Martin DBS
Lamborghini Gallardo LP
Lamborghini Gallardo
Nissan R34
SL65 AMG
GT05
Lamborghini Muira
Ferrari 512
Tesla Model S
Morgan Aero SS
Merc 300SL Gullwing Coupe

Ferrari 250GT
BMW 507
Mercedes E63 AMG
BMW M5 E60
Mercedes C32
Audi S5
BMW M3 E92
Delorean DMC-12
Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2012

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
BMW M1
Mazda RX-7
Holden HSV GTS

Ford Shelby GT500
Nissan 370Z
Toyota Supra
Land Rover Range Rover 2012
BMW M5 E34
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Subaru Impreza
Charger SRT8 2012
Chevy Camaro ZL1
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Ford Mustang
Mercedes ML63 AMG
Ford Focus RS
Holden HSV W427
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Cadillac Escalade
Land Rover Range Rover
Audi S4 Avant
Charger SRT8
Honda Civic Type R
Nissan Silvia
Chevelle SS
Chrysler 300C
Volkswagen Scirocco
Ford Raptor SVT
Honda Civic Type R 97
Mazda MX-5
Honda S2000
Dodge Challenger 1970
Audi TT
Kia Forte Koup
Citroen C4
Kia Ceed
Mazda Speed 3 2009
Toyota Prius
Ford Focus SVT
Volkswagen Golf Mk3
Chevy Camaro 69 SS
Citroen C1
Mini Cooper Coupe
Chevy Impala 96
Volkswagen Golf Mk2
Mercedes 300 SEL
Mini Cooper Clubman
Ford Crown Victoria Taxi
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hummer H1
Dodge RAM
GMC Sierra
Chevrolet Blazer
Mini Cooper S 2011
Jeep Wrangler
GMC Syclone
Ford Transit
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart
Chevrolet Spark
GMC Van
Volvo 242 Turbo
Hudson Hornet
Ford F100
Ford Coupe 40
Volkswagen Beetle
Mini Cooper 1965

Note that some vehicles will not be purchasable outright, details on that at a later date.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
May 16, 2014

Vehicle paints (Note: All displayed cars have the same base color)
zdqDLMW.jpg
From left to right: Standard, gloss, matte, flaky gloss, pearlescent, smooth metallic, flaky metallic

Metal types for your vehicle (Note: some cars this change is far more noticeable on than others, unfixable)
35RH2kL.jpg
From left to right: Chrome, bronze, gold, brass, onyx

Vehicle damage
nY39hMS.jpg

From left to right: Dirty, damaged, wrecked

When you crash your car and it is disabled, it will first go to the damaged state and change your vehicle's handling slightly, if you wreck it again in that state, it will go into the wrecked state, which will make it handle as though your car was spiked (this has been updated to be a better feel and more realistic handling as if it were). Upon getting it repaired at an NPC, it will switch to the dirty state which will need to be taken to the car wash which is a separate NPC. As seen before, there will be several different paint types available, however if your car is dirty is damaged, it will nullify these so if you want to show off your nice paint, you will need to have it washed.

Prices are yet to be determined of how to price accordingly, if it should be a flat rate or car dependent. The two levels will have different prices for sure though, so it's better to get it repaired before wrecking it further.

Law 9.6 states that vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, while the "damaged" (center) state will be road legal, anyone seen driving the wrecked vehicle (right), except from car dealer across street to repair shop is liable to be pulled over and given a traffic infraction; if putting lives in danger by driving on highway or crossing sidewalks, jail time can be served.

If your car ever explodes due to a car bomb or sits in a fire for too long, it will go directly to the wrecked state.

Side note: These conditions do not go away from rejoining the server.

New cars (Note: Some displayed cars may be cars we have, but updated models)

uMqiAOS.jpg

I might be forgetting a few that have been updated but we already include, but generally speaking, those are all the new cars that will be added. Here's a full list of all our vehicles after inclusion. (Ones in bold have been changed/added that I can remember off the top of my head)
Bugatti Veyron SS
Bugatti Veyron 16.4
McLaren F1
Pagani Zonda C12

Ferrari Enzo
McLaren P1
Porsche Carrera GT

Lamborghini Reventon R
Ferrari 458 Spider
Bugatti EB110
Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Aston Martin V12 Vantage
Ferrari F50
Porsche 918 Spyder
Noble M600
Lamborghini Murcielago LP

Lamborghini Murcielago
Nissan GT-R SpecV
Lamborghini Diablo
Porche 997
Dodge Viper GTS

Aston Martin DBS
Lamborghini Gallardo LP
Lamborghini Gallardo
Nissan R34
SL65 AMG
GT05
Lamborghini Muira
Ferrari 512
Tesla Model S
Morgan Aero SS
Merc 300SL Gullwing Coupe

Ferrari 250GT
BMW 507
Mercedes E63 AMG
BMW M5 E60
Mercedes C32
Audi S5
BMW M3 E92
Delorean DMC-12
Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2012

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
BMW M1
Mazda RX-7
Holden HSV GTS

Ford Shelby GT500
Nissan 370Z
Toyota Supra
Land Rover Range Rover 2012
BMW M5 E34
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Subaru Impreza
Charger SRT8 2012
Chevy Camaro ZL1
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Ford Mustang
Mercedes ML63 AMG
Ford Focus RS
Holden HSV W427
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
Cadillac Escalade
Land Rover Range Rover
Audi S4 Avant
Charger SRT8
Honda Civic Type R
Nissan Silvia
Chevelle SS
Chrysler 300C
Volkswagen Scirocco
Ford Raptor SVT
Honda Civic Type R 97
Mazda MX-5
Honda S2000
Dodge Challenger 1970
Audi TT
Kia Forte Koup
Citroen C4
Kia Ceed
Mazda Speed 3 2009
Toyota Prius
Ford Focus SVT
Volkswagen Golf Mk3
Chevy Camaro 69 SS
Citroen C1
Mini Cooper Coupe
Chevy Impala 96
Volkswagen Golf Mk2
Mercedes 300 SEL
Mini Cooper Clubman
Ford Crown Victoria Taxi
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hummer H1
Dodge RAM
GMC Sierra
Chevrolet Blazer
Mini Cooper S 2011
Jeep Wrangler
GMC Syclone
Ford Transit
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart
Chevrolet Spark
GMC Van
Volvo 242 Turbo
Hudson Hornet
Ford F100
Ford Coupe 40
Volkswagen Beetle
Mini Cooper 1965

Note that some vehicles will not be purchasable outright, details on that at a later date.
Thank you for this, you magnificent bastard. ;)

Reaction score
May 17, 2014
  • Set up a load of the new cars seats, headlights, taillights, prices, etc
  • Car dealer now shows more vehicles at once, and with various new paint styles / metals
  • Car dealer changes showroom vehicles at midnight
Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
O6xtgbl.jpg

Just chillin' in the passenger seat of my new Mitsubishi Evolution VIII.

Reaction score
May 18, 2014
  • All new cars now have seats / headlights / etc all set up
  • NPCs for car wash and car repair added but not fully functional
Doesn't seem like much but each car takes me around 10+ minutes of tweaking to get seating right as well as head/tail light positions, so you can imagine that multiplied by how many cars are in my first dev post so yea, it takes awhile to get it all put together, and occasionally having to reload the map completely because of all the refreshes it does every time I save a change to a vehicle. Sorry for no pics today, but tomorrow I'll be introducing more of features being worked on, since they're unique to PerpHeads, some of you may have already seen the clothing post but are not sure what it all might mean, I will go over that then. Stay tuned!

Reaction score
May 19, 2014
  • Transition from stunned (e.g. being revived) back to normal has been improved to be more fluid
  • Hunger and stunned blur improved, stunned blur fades out as you get back to normal
  • Possible to now "sprint" while cuffed or stunned, however, it is fairly slow.
  • Getting out of a chair is far less glitchy now, shouldn't get stuck in ceilings and such nearly as often. However, be sure you have a clear exit point in front of the chair.
  • Exiting any vehicle (except monorail) will now orient your camera to face the direction the vehicle is pointed. This includes chairs.
  • Crashing your car, whether it disables or simply stalls, stuns your character. Duration is dependent on how hard the crash was (mostly).
Well I planned on making a complete posting of clothing today, but unfortunately that'll have to wait another day while some of the last things are included, but I will share with you how the customize screen will basically look and give a rough overview of what each thing does. Keep in mind, prices, names, brands, etc have not all been set up yet.
PpQNTsm.jpg

As the window title suggests, I am currently editing my shirt only, the display on the left is how the shirt will appear. The color picker on the right functions much like that of the car dealer, where you can see the shirt change colors as you move the slider around. The brand text will display what brand is associated with this article of clothing. So if I'm remembering correctly this shirt would be part of the "Becc" brand. The price is clearly indicated next to this, as mentioned before, prices aren't set, but $0 is not an option. The first slider you encounter will change between the different styles of shirts offered, adjusting the brand and the price accordingly. It will also display a title for it to the right where there is a blank. Underneath the slider will be a short description of the item, so in this case something like "A suit vest for when looks matter", I don't know, this is up to Xquality to determine. Moving on, next up is the slider to pick what set of decal you want to have, these are still being set up by Xquality, some clothing will have more sets than others. (These ones should be labeled as emblems as you'll see in the next images). For the last slider, it controls what design your shirt/pants/shoes/undershirt should have.
eyMYoUw.jpg

Clearly the title of the shirt "Cloth suit w/ pockets" isn't correct for this, but that will be fixed by time of release, and if I make another post about this.

Once you have found the look you wish to have, simply press the Accept button which will ask for confirmation that you want to spend X on the clothing, which when confirmed will save it to your character and you'll be good to go. If you press the Cancel button, it simply closes the window and nothing happens. But I'm quite fond of my shirt, so I will press the Accept button and confirm.
y2KTrNu.jpg

Here I am looking in the new mirrors at Jennifer's jewelry in the next version of the map at my brand new clothing choice. (I'm looking in a mirror, which is why the insignia appears on the left in this picture, instead of the right on the previous)

Anyways, a lot of time and effort went into understand how this would even be possible, as typically speaking this is not something supported by the Source engine, so it was a real trick of trying to figure out how to go around the system and have this all work, I hope you guys/gals enjoy it when we get it out there, as it will give you a load of options to pick from. Since as I briefly said before, you can color your shoes different than your shirts, and your shirt different than your pants, etc, giving loads of options.

One last note that I should mention, this full customization will only be available to premium members. Nonpremium members will get a list of preset designs to choose from, and a button to press that will randomly pick colors, which is able to be pressed as many times as one would like to find the color that suits them. However, as each part is independently colored, this will still make a load of variety, unlike the current system.

Reaction score
May 20, 2014

First off I should get this out there first and foremost, thank you Carrot so much for helping set these up for me to easily add!!! Now you may be wondering, why and what am I thanking him for? Simple answer is, more car features!

Aftermarket Kits
coOPhXu.png

182ywRs.png

The kits vary depending on the car, so they have anywhere from only the standard kit to 4 aftermarket kits of different kinds. This is just a feature of the car's model, not something we can control easily of which have and what exactly they do have. So because of this we (Carrot and myself) simply made presets for each vehicle we were able to do this with.

Again the price isn't determined for these yet but will more likely cost more as the price of the car itself goes up. So for the pictures above with the Nissan GT-R SpecV and the Lamborghini Miura as the main car displayed, these kits won't come cheap, but they shouldn't break the bank either.

​With having all these different possible choices for your car, it will be hard to know what you may be looking at in the car dealer if you wanted something similar, so I will be creating a window which displays the features of the vehicle. With this you could more or less create exactly the same look as that of a vehicle you admire(d) in the showroom.

Since this thread is locked, I don't know if it's possible to like the post or comment on here, but if it is and I get several likes, I will post close-ups of how each paint type appears, if able to comment, say which car and I will show the one said the most, or randomly pick one mentioned if there's a tie. However, I can tell you one thing for sure; images alone don't do some of these paint types justice but they will have to do for now.

Other changes:
  • Flashbangs will now stun your character and vision effect when blinded is now improved, it will not make your screen go entirely white, just mostly so you still have somewhat a fighting chance. Your vision will also be blurry from being stunned. This will also effect your movement depending on how blinded you are, so your best bet is to not look at one and/or be near it when it goes off.
  • Being hit in the head with a baseball bat now stuns your character for 25 seconds.
  • Being hit with a nightstick stuns for 5 seconds or 10 seconds if hit in the head

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
May 20, 2014

First off I should get this out there first and foremost, thank you Carrot so much for helping set these up for me to easily add!!! Now you may be wondering, why and what am I thanking him for? Simple answer is, more car features!

Aftermarket Kits
coOPhXu.png

182ywRs.png

The kits vary depending on the car, so they have anywhere from only the standard kit to 4 aftermarket kits of different kinds. This is just a feature of the car's model, not something we can control easily of which have and what exactly they do have. So because of this we (Carrot and myself) simply made presets for each vehicle we were able to do this with.

Again the price isn't determined for these yet but will more likely cost more as the price of the car itself goes up. So for the pictures above with the Nissan GT-R SpecV and the Lamborghini Miura as the main car displayed, these kits won't come cheap, but they shouldn't break the bank either.

​With having all these different possible choices for your car, it will be hard to know what you may be looking at in the car dealer if you wanted something similar, so I will be creating a window which displays the features of the vehicle. With this you could more or less create exactly the same look as that of a vehicle you admire(d) in the showroom.

Since this thread is locked, I don't know if it's possible to like the post or comment on here, but if it is and I get several likes, I will post close-ups of how each paint type appears, if able to comment, say which car and I will show the one said the most, or randomly pick one mentioned if there's a tie. However, I can tell you one thing for sure; images alone don't do some of these paint types justice but they will have to do for now.

Other changes:
  • Flashbangs will now stun your character and vision effect when blinded is now improved, it will not make your screen go entirely white, just mostly so you still have somewhat a fighting chance. Your vision will also be blurry from being stunned. This will also effect your movement depending on how blinded you are, so your best bet is to not look at one and/or be near it when it goes off.
  • Being hit in the head with a baseball bat now stuns your character for 25 seconds.
  • Being hit with a nightstick stuns for 5 seconds or 10 seconds if hit in the head
Like :)

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
May 20, 2014

Aftermarket Kits
coOPhXu.png

182ywRs.png

Other changes:
This is all getting better and better! Amazing, no less.

And the added stuns for nightsticks are a welcome change ;)

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
May 20, 2014

Aftermarket Kits
coOPhXu.png

182ywRs.png

Other changes:
Doin awesome :)

Reaction score
May 21, 2014
First off, full disclosure, snow and rain never made me lag.
Weather Effects
Snow and rain won't be removed immediately following release, however today I worked on the systems that control it, and I discovered some nastiness that may have been the cause of the lag, so I have corrected that and fingers crossed, this makes people not lag during snow and rainstorms. Not to go into technicalities but basically it was just trying to generate too much for its own good, so it should be fine now. Visibly it will appear nearly identical to how it did before if not even better just because of it probably screwing itself over before.

• Despite this change, I have made it so the chance of snow is almost unlikely until we fix our weather system.
​Close-Ups
Standard

0ac6a57d6b.png

Gloss
83de2b616c.png

Matte
10acdcd363.png

Flake Gloss
0965469fac.png

Pearl
cd76283d20.png

Smooth Metallic
4155d03181.png

Candy Metallic
06d2028252.png

The images are 1920x1200 resolution and full quality, so you can see all the detail to it. As you can note by my first post, this will work for all colors, it does not necessarily have to be a certain shade to work. So in this case I chose pink just show off this car (Mini Cooper Coupe) with an aftermarket kit installed.

There is also one more paint job I have not mentioned, but it is quite experimental and unknown what to do with it, because it requires slightly different settings than that of these others and generally speaking would be the paint job of choice by most players I believe, so with the spirit of variety, I'm unsure what to do with it. However, if you're interested in seeing it. Here it is.

Chrome
8ec122f740.png

While yes, it looks amazing, that's sort of the problem, it's a bit too amazing, so only thing I can think to do with it, is price it crazy high, so even if you wanted it on something like this Mini, it would be far more than even the car's value, but it would make you stand out from a crowd in any vehicle.

Anyways, that's it for today, tomorrow I will probably get started on making the window for when you paint your car how it will appear because now you have new options when customizing. So enjoy these teaser pics for the time being, and keep in mind what I said yesterday, pictures hardly do this justice, in a 3D environment they look even better with the way light bounces off them.

Reaction score
May 22, 2014
Today I mostly just did general fixes and additions, nothing too fancy to show off.​

• Xquality redid NPC texts, so now they'll say different things talked to, which I then performance optimized and corrected minor bugs.
  • Medic NPC (the one by the emergency entrance) now heals you if you're very low in health or bleeding, for free. Otherwise can patch you up or fix your broken legs for a fee. (This was intended behavior before, but never worked right)
  • Player medics now can unstun other players that may be stunned from being revived / car crash / hit by bat / etc using their medkit.
  • Clothing information completely set up, (refer to errors on May 19, 2014 post) so that's more or less ready to go, now just to make a way to access it, which I may do in a novel way, but that's for tomorrow's post.
  • Some internal fixes causing a few errors here and there, nothing seen by players.

Reaction score
May 23, 2014
So today was mostly finishing up a few left over details both in fixes and features I overlooked at first that may interfere.

• ​Road crew's wrench / standard wrench only puts a vehicle into a non-disabled state so it can drive again, however it is impossible to repair the vehicle's condition (see vehicle damage) itself, that must be done at the repair shop.
  • Vehicle repair NPC and car wash NPC are both now functional. Prices are still to be determined.
  • Added a way to access premium clothing customization. This can be done by going to Jennifer's jewelry, and press your Use key (E by default) on the mirror upstairs. It will pop up with a window asking you which clothing article you would like to change. Shirt, pants, shoes, or undershirt, as well as a cancel button if you don't actually want to.
​
2b3c9d4f37.jpg

• Started adding preset designs for nonpremium. Originally I said there would be a random color picker and stuff. Instead it will be a list of preset designs, which they can pick from but they can color using the color picker shown in the clothing post just can't fully customize every detail.
  • Corrected some slight mishaps with the aftermarket kits that applied the wrong kit by default.
  • Getting a sex change will now set all your clothes to the most basic of basic, but it will retain what colors you had before. As well corrected a critical error that could've popped up.
  • Fixed bug with clothing change window which if you only changed the design it would set clothing to white instead of keeping the color you had before.
  • Random face (4 possible) assigned upon joining, eventually this may turn into an option you can pick.
  • Death ragdoll fixed to use new clothing system.

Reaction score
May 24, 2014
Kind of a random assortment of things today mostly job related.​​ No pictures, but will post tomorrow.
  • Taxi / Delivery jobs only require that you own a vehicle now, instead of owning the specific vehicle, as this prevented too many players from accessing these jobs.
  • Taxi's Crown Victoria now turns appropriate shade of yellow and uses a new skin, as well as appears as a taxi, while the standard car you drive doesn't have those taxi-like features.
  • Medic's now have a first responder Prius, to get to emergencies faster, however it is incapable of removing corpses, the main ambulance is needed for that.
  • New vehicle skins for the medic Prius and firefighter Ram.
  • Updated vehicle skins for the police to be better resolution and more fitting for some of the updated vehicle models.
  • When hit by a bullet, your character is slightly stunned
(I keep mentioning "stun", all this means is that your vision blurs some, and your movement is impeded a little bit. So in this case with being shot, slightly means, you still move fairly regularly and don't go totally blurred, but enough to notice that your character is in pain from it)
  • Some materials/textures changed to look better for various things, one of which being road crew's wrench.
  • Speed (Traffic) Enforcement job now requires premium to join, like it should have been in the first place, so there aren't random speed enforcement officers roaming around on foot.
  • Changed some other code to allow for a different change in the future (eventually this will come into play but no details as of now)

Reaction score
May 25, 2014
Today basically was just configuring the new cars to be able to be spawned/used by the appropriate job and position light bars on the new police vehicles.

5ef2efa5e4.jpg

As like before the deluxe police cruiser is available to premium and above, however non-premium will be able to pick between the regular police cruiser and the standard police cruiser. The BMW M5 that many premium were accustomed to using is now a vehicle for only the Lieutenant to spawn in.

Police Ford Crown Victoria
dabebe3d47.jpg

Police Dodge Charger 2012
9aa44673e8.jpg

Medic Prius
465e5eb54a.jpg

Firefighter Dodge Ram
66e6309ed6.jpg

Other emergency vehicles have also changed their appearance some, but will post more on that another time, they aren't as spectacular because the ability for nice paint jobs on them isn't as friendly.

Reaction score
May 26, 2014
Early post today!
One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is the fact that the lights on emergency vehicles have been brightened and will be much more noticeable than before, so people can't use the excuse of "I didn't see it" as easily, of course some will regardless but it is more of a lie than an excuse now. Anyways, onto today's stuff, TDM has released 3 new vehicles between when I first made the car post and now, admittedly this was a few days before now, but I wasn't sure if I was going to have the time to add them in, but I managed to. So now you can add a Scion FR-S, Scion tC, and a Scion xD to the list of new cars up and coming. In that order,here is a picture displaying all three.

65e4989e05.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but besides the new paint jobs, I have gone through each and every car and tweaked their materials/textures to be much more realistic looking and far better off than the default given out by TDM himself. Additionally, I have added 4 new metal types, steel, titanium, rose gold, and silver. Naturally silver looks a fair bit like the chrome, however close up you can tell they're slightly different. You may be able to tell from this picture that silver is just slightly brighter/shinier than chrome is: COMPARISON PIC (order: Steel, Chrome, Titanium, Silver). Steel will be the default on cars, but since it is just kinda blah and nothing special, to illustrate this point very clearly, CLICK HERE. Obviously you'd much rather have the brass over the regular steel if you prefer to ride in style.

Click to open an enlarged version. Order from left to right is: Chrome, bronze, gold, onyx, brass, titanium, rose gold, silver. (Each car has the smooth metallic paint job)

The last 3 are new ones that I have designed in addition to my original posting of types you could pick from. As mentioned previously, this effects all cars differently, one thing that is the same between all of them is that this change will at least change the color of your mirrors. This is just a feature of how the cars are set up, nothing I can do about it, however, who wouldn't want gold mirrors? =P In other news, if this post gets over a certain amount of likes, I could be persuaded to add basic colors as options, even though not realistic types of metals. Such as red/green/blue/pink/etc.

Oh, I think I forgot to post the new skin for taxi's yesterday, so here's that. (This taxi shown has chrome metal, actual taxi will not)
4f69d4b64b.jpg

While here is your regular Crown Victoria that you personally own.
bdbb671671.jpg

With a matte paint job and chrome metal work.

One thing to note is that you should disable TDM's materials from his SVN if you have that, which I may post as a short tutorial as it's quite simple and necessary to do or you will get effects LIKE THIS. Which I don't even want to show in my post because it is hideous, not sure why he made it like that, but talk about bad.

Anyways, most of this is show and tell today, as most other changes were just trying to design some stuff not really things I can show at this point. Finally came to a consensus of how the clothing system will work for non-premium. (Last time I'll talk about this) Basically, they'll have the same window as premiums do, except they can not apply the designs to their clothes, so they can pick the main look, whether it's a T-shirt or a suit jacket but can't get the special designs on top of it. It will be full color access as mentioned before though, so no randomly picking a color like first mentioned. It will simply be non-premium can't have special markings to go with their new duds (clothes).

Reaction score
May 27, 2014
Well honestly today I mostly took the day off after working so many days now, needed a breather. A few things, but mostly corrections to the new systems to fix a few rare occurrences or abnormalities which resulted in unintended behavior. Nothing to show off for it though. So this post will be short today, but helps me a great deal as it's been nonstop work for the longest time now. Anyways, tomorrow I will post some more updates of things done.

So because of this, I will simply inform you of some limitations with the new systems, so you're full aware of the flaws it has. However in our view, the few problems it has, are far outweighed by potential it has.

Clothing
First off, the images and such that you can apply to your shirt, pants, whatever tend to glow in the dark. So if you're in a dark area, your design will sorta stick out precariously. I've fixed this as much as I am capable of so it isn't as bad as it was originally, but there's only so much that can be done about it. To somewhat show what I mean, here is one of the NPCs at the car dealer.

3e11f8ae54.jpg

You are able to sort of tell that the stripes don't fully match the brightness of the rest of the clothing. But anyways, this isn't a huge issue in my opinion, because I think the possibility of being able to pick these for almost unlimited variety as well as ease of creation of "more" clothes on our end make up for these shortcomings.

Cars
I may have updated the materials for these the best I can, however, things like the metal trim and some of the more reflective paint types have issues with some areas of the map. While there are ways to resolve this one, it would take ages to get it exactly right, so we aren't going to be THAT exacting. Another problem is if they are in a place with TOO much lighting, this one there is nothing we can do about it. I will demonstrate these effects with a before and after.
Before
9408430e9e.jpg

After
9c92f670a1.jpg

This same kind of effect happens in a few places around the map, where it just looks more like color and less like reflections. It also can occur when shining a flashlight directly on it, the light will look like it is being bounced back at you, but the reflections are essentially nullified.

The places that the reflections work fine and look nice, also have a draw back, when it is night they have a way to sort of stand out awkwardly being brighter than their surroundings. This is true of all objects with these types of reflections, it is simply the Source engine misbehaving if you want to think of it that way.

5aec0e3c6c.jpg

Anyways, as I first noted, these effects / designs in my view are much better included despite the few errors with them than to not have at all. So I figured in the best interest of everyone I should be straight forward and show what few problems they have so you are aware and don't think it is a bug on our part.

I'm sure there are a few more things I could mention here, but these ones stick out the most (no pun intended) the rest are slightly minor and I think I've addressed a few in other posts.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
May 27, 2014
Well honestly today I mostly took the day off after working so many days now, needed a breather. A few things, but mostly corrections to the new systems to fix a few rare occurrences or abnormalities which resulted in unintended behavior. Nothing to show off for it though. So this post will be short today, but helps me a great deal as it's been nonstop work for the longest time now. Anyways, tomorrow I will post some more updates of things done.

So because of this, I will simply inform you of some limitations with the new systems, so you're full aware of the flaws it has. However in our view, the few problems it has, are far outweighed by potential it has.

Clothing
First off, the images and such that you can apply to your shirt, pants, whatever tend to glow in the dark. So if you're in a dark area, your design will sorta stick out precariously. I've fixed this as much as I am capable of so it isn't as bad as it was originally, but there's only so much that can be done about it. To somewhat show what I mean, here is one of the NPCs at the car dealer.

3e11f8ae54.jpg

You are able to sort of tell that the stripes don't fully match the brightness of the rest of the clothing. But anyways, this isn't a huge issue in my opinion, because I think the possibility of being able to pick these for almost unlimited variety as well as ease of creation of "more" clothes on our end make up for these shortcomings.

Cars
I may have updated the materials for these the best I can, however, things like the metal trim and some of the more reflective paint types have issues with some areas of the map. While there are ways to resolve this one, it would take ages to get it exactly right, so we aren't going to be THAT exacting. Another problem is if they are in a place with TOO much lighting, this one there is nothing we can do about it. I will demonstrate these effects with a before and after.
Before
9408430e9e.jpg

After
9c92f670a1.jpg

This same kind of effect happens in a few places around the map, where it just looks more like color and less like reflections. It also can occur when shining a flashlight directly on it, the light will look like it is being bounced back at you, but the reflections are essentially nullified.

The places that the reflections work fine and look nice, also have a draw back, when it is night they have a way to sort of stand out awkwardly being brighter than their surroundings. This is true of all objects with these types of reflections, it is simply the Source engine misbehaving if you want to think of it that way.

5aec0e3c6c.jpg

Anyways, as I first noted, these effects / designs in my view are much better included despite the few errors with them than to not have at all. So I figured in the best interest of everyone I should be straight forward and show what few problems they have so you are aware and don't think it is a bug on our part.

I'm sure there are a few more things I could mention here, but these ones stick out the most (no pun intended) the rest are slightly minor and I think I've addressed a few in other posts.
Don't post comments on this post, Senlin, you dirty little boy.

Reaction score
May 28, 2014
Well today has been a huge load of redoing old systems to be better suited to forward expansion. Mainly the accessory system, so been working on making them easier to adjust the position, angles, etc so they fit onto a model better than they do now, overall not very exciting work but it is necessary. Not to blame Carrot for how his models turned out but I've had to do some tweaking to make them fit onto some characters so they don't look like clown glasses or having it jabbing into the person's head. That's just because of how each model has a slightly different shape head, so I've been working on making it easier to fit to these. Anyways, that's all there really is to say about that, so I will give you a picture of Carrot's new wayfarer's on my character, as well as another teaser image of a car.

3554693281.jpg

(For some reason it looks like I have a tooth missing)

Because lulz
4ae630c286.jpg

As for the car pic.
007318612e.jpg

Reaction score
May 29, 2014
First off, I can't believe it's nearly the end of May already, secondly, today was really a lot of the same of yesterday, as setting up the attachments is a very meticulous process because of how different each model is, so I can't just copy settings from one to the next like you would think. Perhaps for future additions we should go with one set size and placement, then go from there so the settings would at least be closer to what they were before with something else. But as for now, it's a struggle cause it's insanely boring as well. Far more boring than that of the vehicle setting up. So nothing much to really say here besides to refer to yesterday's post. Today was mainly the hats, then hopefully tomorrow I can finish off the few remaining accessories and get back to working on other things. The main issue I have is, I'm one person and trying to do all these tasks while regularly show you guys/girls new things that are up and coming, is simply impossible, so unfortunately some days will be pretty much text only like this. Rest assured though, progress is being made, and I'm working my hardest to get this all out ASAP. That's all there is to say though for today, perhaps tomorrow I'll have something bigger and better to show off but as for today, it's just tedious work, and not the kind that can be enjoyable.

91dad12a54.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.