PERP | What has it become?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4084
  • Start date

Deleted member 4084

So I asked in the shout-box; to @Xquality this:
7426000057.png

Why has PERPHeads got to a point where everyone has to be 'on-point', to a position where we are restricted to a lot. You want it to be 'serious and realistic' but then get to a point where it is no longer 'fun'. The fact that now we have to be 'dead on' with our defences is quite ridiculous, enforce them to an extent? Not to a point where you go ahead and do something 'foolish' where people don't have the ability to have fun, and build 'bases' to a point where they can't "passive role-play".

What has it become? I understand that some things are 'totally unrealistic', it makes sense. But why enforce it to a point where people dislike it?

That's pretty much all I have to say. And if there is anything you would like to add to this, then please reply.

All criticism accepted.

• Adding onto what @MidoTheCigar said: Where has the passive rp gone? It used to be amazing, but now it's gone to 'aggressive role-play' some might say: "Well doing some jobs is passive roleplay" No. That's not the case, we're not social anymore, we grow, sell, kill repeat.

I know before I was talking about defences but really, it's about both the lack of Serious role-play and complete lack of Passive role-play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Its become what the server has made it, start doing something in game to combat it and maybe peoples views will change, the server adapts to the environmemt around it

Reaction score
You believe that the horribly made defences in the past, which are no longer allowed, made the server more enjoyable? The previously made defences threw the word "realistic" out the window, as well as the "enjoyable" for many others who were involved in situations where these defences were involved.

Deleted member 4084

It has become a Power growing simulation with some Cop Rp
Adding onto what @MidoTheCigar said: Where has the passive rp gone? It used to be amazing, but now it's gone to 'aggressive role-play' some might say: "Well doing some jobs is passive roleplay" No. That's not the case, we're not social anymore, we grow, sell, kill repeat.

Reaction score
What does get on my nerves at times is people's refusal to RP regularly. Now I am not slandering or shit-talking anyone, but all I am saying is everyday I try my best, along with various other people, to try all new RP styles and get lots of people involved, however a lot of the time people are simply basing and growing, or raiding.

There are many within the community that love to try all new RP styles, and the server does have excellent role play, however one thing that boils my blood at times is when people are too busy growing etc. rather than joining in on the RP, or not getting involved in RP situations that are different.

Thats all I really have to say :)

Reaction score
I always think of new ideas to do and when I finally get everything done and set up and I feel ready to do it I back off of it because I think either people are not gonna like it or no one is gonna contribute.
I guess im a little traumatized from this: https://perpheads.com/threads/marston-racing-industries-first-event.13086/ and this https://perpheads.com/threads/singing-performance-at-beach.14578/
I guess the 2nd one isnt that good anyways but both are such good ideas that if done correctly can be amazing, but nobody actually did anything about it.

Reaction score
but when you have to think about a 'serious' defence which is not 'as fun' in it's ways then it puts people off

cc961d2fe2.png

5f1d28d61f.png

Base defences were getting way too elaborate and out of hand, now we're cracking down on them to make the game fair for everyone instead of everyone sitting inside an unraidable defence growing drugs all day with absolutely no risk to them. If you're not having fun here or aren't enjoying it I'd suggest leaving or just taking a break and playing another game for a while. Also, if passive RP is what you're interested in why don't you go out and create your own I personally don't see how you'd need any defences to passive RP. @HolyShititsDannyD made a cafe the other day and had a brilliant time doing it and he did it without any "defences" afaik.

Deleted member 1235

Everyone has different perceptions of fun. I found arguing with @Fredy on the EU fun and enjoyable whilst everyone else didn't. As Tfmk said, AIDS defences are only fun for the defender. If you want to full 100% creativity then go on dark RP and spawn your props in.

Perp has the right balance between realism and fun. It can only emulate real life to an extent, after all this is Garry's mod. I simply don't see the point of this thread. Are you not having fun here?

Reaction score
@Whitewolf Perhaps the lack of PassiveRP can be attributed to the fact that the majority of the RP that is happening on the server is either CopRP or CriminalRP. The first thing new players are met with are criminal orgs which revolve around just getting money and killing people. Tendencies are that new players are more inclined to do criminalRP themselves due to the fact that otherwise it's them that are next one the list of people to raid, mug or be killed. And thus passiveRP isn't exactly encouraged as much as it shoud be due to the high likelyhood of them just being targets for the filthy crims.
Don't forget also that criminalRP has lots of potential roleplay opportunities as well, however as mentioned, the majority of large criminal orgs these days just grow, kill and repeat.
As mentioned by multiple people, serious roleplay server, in my opinion doesn't entail that everything has to be done as realistically as possible otherwise you're just getting banned or warned or whatever. It entails that certain allowances can be made so that everyone can have an enjoyable and fair time on the server.

Deleted member 4084

Edited the thread: Read the post again.

Reaction score
The thing is, people do try to RP seriously on a daily basis, it's just the fact that people tend to not take them seriously themselves is what's up. Take a situation I remember:

I walked into a player-made restaurant that seemed great, and their RP when serving and interacting with me as a whole was brilliant. I sat down, ordered, and they RPed out the entire process of making the meal. The sad thing was, I was the only one in there, no one to act social with, and that's the problem: people don't like to passive RP.

This situation was, ofcourse, ruined by a guy who walked in throwing burgers around and acting like a general bell-end when it came to the users attempting to create the roleplay for others, which brings me back to the point that people don't take others seriously when they're trying to seriously roleplay.

Reaction score
This is not Gangwars RP this is Serious RP but its not fun something always happens where everyone has a laugh. Its called serious RP to prevent people taking RP way to far and being completely unrealistic. I admit it gets repetitive but something is always thrown in that makes you want to come back again and again.

Reaction score
Back to the old arguments about passive RP, and if there is one thing I know, it is that you shouldn't do it because you want a recommendation or because you want to get noticed. Serious and passive RP is not going to get you known, and might be a reason why we don't see so much to it. I believe that you should do the serious RP because you find it fun yourself, and because it adds to the server as a whole. When I started of MWS it never got any customers, because the business was entirely based on other people hiring us. I kept it going for quite a while, even though I knew it wouldn't work out in the long run, simply because I knew that if I kept it there, kept making the shops and adverts, I would end up with a name, and people would acknowledge my existence. If you want to make a shop or car wash or cafe, just make sure that it isn't just a one time thing, but make it famous, and keep it there. @Rogue Car Tyres got his taxi for example, which he uses from time to time. Eventually people might become regular customers and you will see that people will know you are there.

(Also for the racing people, the reason races don't work are because the only people with supercars are the people inside their base growing.)

Reaction score
The game has changed from a fun experience at early stage into an every-day routine, which goes by the following:
1. Grow
2. Shoot police
3. Raid
4. Mug

^^ These were the main reasons I left PH a while ago, it's just shit. There's barely and roleplay around, and when there is, the players make it into a SHIT fest. One time I made a restaurant, right? You would do what you would do in real life. When people entered, the first thing they did was run around my restaurant playing ear rape. Not fun.

It's basically "Cops and Robbers"

Deleted member 4084

74067eae06.png

Regards

A powergrower**
I acc don't powergrow. If I grow, I grow one or two batches then go and give that money away in shop and spend that money on props to help my Cafe which I setup outside city hall. @Cole was with me, and we've tried but not got any people. Then I still was there, trying. And still got 0 people.
I'd like to add some of the best 'serious' / 'passive' role-players I've seen:
@Kitty
@Thomas DeSimone
@Prepper
@Cole
@HolyShititsDannyD
@Archibald
@LordTyla
@Hayden
@Eviction Notice
@MidoTheCigar
All of these individuals are role-models, to the 'serious'/'passive' side of PERPHeads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
All these words in quotation marks. It's like GCSE English all over again.

Perp as a whole is a very well excecuted piece of kit for quite a linear game and a very old source engine. Perp hasn't become anything, people come and go as they please and that's usually the case with most things. It's not a powergrowing simulator; thats what people choose to do most of the time because they don't want to make any money that actually requires work.

Your arguments aren't balanced and you're not looking at the bigger picture. If you're sick of how we do things here then there's no point in complaining. Do something about it.

Reaction score
I believe that fun should come before realism sometimes if not most of the time. Aids defences aren't fun however and there's a reason they got removed, seriously, a stack of 3 barricades is enough to protect you from bullets. There's a reason, like stated, why the server doesn't have every realistic feature possible, because sometimes its too excessive or just isn't fun/interactive with the player at all.

The main reason why perp appears to be a "power growing mess" is because people see fancy cars -> ask in help chat what the fastest way of making money is -> some guy answers by growing drugs. It's true, because it is one of the if not the fastest way of making money depending on the circumstances, but on paper it is probably the fastest. There they then sit for about 10 hours of game-time to buy a nice decent car and then they realise they want a better car and the cycle repeats. Some people drop out from power growing eventually as it does get boring, some just continue because they don't get bored, simple as that. Now there's a reason there is also limited "PassiveRP" it's because like I said, newer players generally get caught up in growing to get a cool looking car, and a lot of people who already achieved their so called "fancy garage" either dislike PassiveRP or go inactive as hell or spend their time as a cop which is perfectly fine. However it then means that there are a lot of new players on the server just growing for fancy cars, while a small proportion such as @Archibald and @HolyShititsDannyD (stood out most recently for me but I know there are plenty more) who try to organise some kind of PassiveRP events to draw people away from powergrowing and try to get them out of their oh-so-precious bases. I actually really enjoyed their race event at the farm so that was a good job even though sometimes a lot of minges come to just ruin it.

Regardless the server is filled with "powergrowers" is because they want a fancy car and then get hooked into the "growingRP", a small proportion of them don't care about cars and actually have interest in role play. They generally then attempt to organise something or just run around trying to role play but it ends marginally successful. I'm not saying that people who raid/grow/afk in bases are bad people, if they really do enjoy that then sure at the end of the day you cant really force them to do otherwise, but I think that sometimes they just should drop the growing - I mean I see some guy as a sweater one day, think hes stopped playing and next thing I know he walks out his holy base a couple weeks later in a supercar. So try to have a bit of fun by setting up something more passive, or just interacting with other players in a not-so-criminal way because it can be a great laugh and fun sometimes.

There's a reason also it doesn't occur. A bunch of immature kids who just play shooting games all the time just finished growing for their new supercar and they see a passiveRP advert only to go there and mug them or ruin the event by being a complete minge because they are immature as shit. Immaturity shows within the community by far, like Creepis stated, the amount of crying in OOC is beyond limits after raids, the amount of beef between people over minor things is also silly, and mostly stupid behaviour by shooting around guns at each other then complaining you get raided isn't very mature is it, always looking to blame something or someone.

Last edited: