Update Log 10/08/2022 - Lag Fix Attempt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
MsvfAxi.png

Today's update is aimed at improving the server's performance, specifically the issue of massive lag spikes that would happen roughly every minute if the server is near capacity. We have identified the issue to be related to the server using too much memory and Lua's garbage collector not working as well as one would expect. Due to this we had to take drastic measures to reduce the memory footprint of the server.

If you noticed that you have far fewer drugs in your storage than previously, do not worry. This is an intended part of this update.

As might come to some people's surprise, the main culprit of the high memory usage are actually items. On our server, each item is modelled as its own individual object. So, if someone has 10,000 drugs in their storage, then that is 10,000 objects in memory. Unfortunately, it turns out we have a lot of item hoarders among us, which is why this has become such a big issue.

The first step we are taking is to make drugs (the item people have the most of) stackable. So instead of having 10,000 cocaine, you will now have 50 bundles of 200 cocaine (similarly for all other drugs and seeds). At this point, should be noted that we are fully aware that this is not an improvement and complicates things very slightly, we are only doing this because it is a necessity to allow for more fluid gameplay.

However, we have tried to make it as seamless as possible to use these new items, although some functionality is certainly still lacking at this point. For example, as soon as you pick up any such stackable item, it will automatically reorganize your inventory and stack to use the least amount of items necessary. There is also a function to only drop a certain amount of drugs from a package.

Here is what it looks like:
rYbxuTQ8On8P9mAt.png

rKLJhVcKN72KpK6C.png

There are also other items that seem to get hoarded quite a bit (mostly crafting materials). We might consider adding a hard limit to the amount of items of a kind you can have in your storage in the future to eliminate these issues as well. Please do not buy 10,000 newspapers like someone has!

This update also brings some other improvements to the server similar to last year's FPS update. These are a bit experimental and only really improve performance slightly, so I will not go into greater detail of these, but they should do at least something, hopefully.

Reaction score

There are also other items that seem to get hoarded quite a bit (mostly crafting materials). We might consider adding a hard limit to the amount of items of a kind you can have in your storage in the future to eliminate these issues as well. Please do not buy 10,000 newspapers like someone has!

Classic

Reaction score
Don't tell me what to do!

Reaction score
gg no more power growing cuz no one will raid in lag

Reaction score
I wouldve crashed that bitch if i still had my 100k coke

Reaction score
i hoard everything as possible, its easier to spend perp money rather then loosing items. So i transfer my wealth into items, to sell it when i need perp money.
This game made me so greedy i think i have like 120 pots just from mingegrabbing empty raid places and collect leftovers. I became a real messy

Reaction score
Maybe do the same with Pots? as a lot of players has over 200 pots, maybe would be smart as its very rare you use them so wouldnt effect the game so much like the drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.