Upcoming S.W.A.T. gamemode

Would you like to see more unique PH gamemodes created after this?

• Yes

Votes: 74 68.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No, focus on PERP only

Votes: 31 28.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Recently you may have noticed that I seem to be rather inactive on adding stuff, and it is mostly Fredy doing things for the server. So here is why.

I have been working with Xquality on a gamemode in which the player is a member of S.W.A.T. (Special Weapons and Tactics). Suspects are played by NPCs and S.W.A.T. are players, so it may sound simple but it is harder than you might think. The gamemode is basically to locate and restrain suspects throughout a map, there will also be hostages that need to be saved on some maps as well as VIP targets which must be restrained or saved. If the VIP targets are killed or incapacitated the mission is considered to be failed and treated accordingly. Rewards for completing missions is yet to be determined, but they will increase for the more difficult missions. The reward will be effected by numerous factors, such as: suspects killed, hostages killed, officers killed, amount of equipment used, improper use of (deadly) force, suspects restrained, and amount of evidence collected to name a few.

If you wish to see some gameplay of what is done so far, check out Xquality's Twitch channel for some past streams as well as on occasion a livestream.

Keep in mind that all of what you see so far is just a beginning really, still lots of work to go. You also may notice that there are things within it that you would like for the main server, so a few things may trickle their way into it after this is complete. Some are easier right now to put into this gamemode because it doesn't have nearly the complexities of the main server at this point, also balancing is more of a concern when it's PvP than PvE.

This gamemode is created with intent for enjoyment, casual gaming, and a good way to learn good tactics when playing as S.W.A.T. Hope you like what you see so far, has been a learning experience for me as making NPCs do anything complex is not really well documented or explained in Gmod, so I am proud of what has been accomplished this far.

If you have any questions or comments I would be glad to hear them and respond accordingly. (No I don't know when actual release may be)

Reaction score
I'd love to see more gamemodes like this made, as long as they're linked in with PERP, that'd be amazing.

Reaction score
Pleased to say another milestone has been reached with this. Now it is fairly easy to create a map for this and it will set everything up automatically without having to explicitly define things.

In other words, making more maps and adding them in is easy now.

However, many things remain incomplete and still have lots of work to go. But with this development I can simply focus my attention on completing them and leave the map making to Xquality without having to code everything in manually.

Anyways, thought I would announce that progress is being made for those interested in this venture. As to those who have voted no, I ask, why not? Because I have not seen any comment as to why you feel that way.

Depending on how the development of this proceeds, may give out how to make maps functionable with this gamemode and one server set to use the best user submitted maps.

Reaction score
The problem I see with this is that most gmod players aren't exactly very smart..... they are mostly just 13 year old kids, Russians, or otherwise mentally impaired people and due to this I don't see people tactically clearing rooms and working as a team like many non mentally impaired people would love to see.

aka whitelist server gg no re.
I foresee Special Wetters and Tactics, otherwise it seems like a good gamemode that will be fun without the above people.

Reaction score
Alright quick post, first off I'd still like to hear from those no voters and why they vote that way. Moving on... In the interest of having something for people to play in a reasonable timeframe from now, the GUI (the text and stuff on screen) will be rather basic in its design for now. I would like to improve on it later on, but that process is long and annoying so for now I'll do some rough work just to make it functional. That said, it will still be awhile as we're only working with one map for now and would like to use plenty more than that. And map creation is fun, just ask Xquality. As other than the map we have now, we are going to come up with custom map designs that we think of, so balancing and getting the right look will take some time in many cases. But as I noted in my last post, making the map compatible and making the gamemode operate with it should be a piece of cake.

Anyways that's what I'm working on now, if you haven't already the likes on my original post help and don't forget to vote. I'd prefer if you write a short post about why you voted how you did, but not necessary.

Reaction score
As anyone that has watched the past streams may have noticed the weapons used were not the same as used on the main server, so my question is, should we use the same gun models as those or use new and different? The scripts behind the guns of how bullets are shot is different for this gamemode so they won't feel exactly the same regardless. Keep in mind a different pack of weapons would mean more to download to play, but it would also give us more to use for variation.

So I'd like to know which you would prefer, I personally would like to branch out and use some other guns.

On a side note: NPCs at least initially will use HL2 weapons, until I find how to have them use custom guns, if I can (not much written on this topic).

Reaction score
Will be there any S.W.A.T leader selection? Someone to can select the positions and make a plan?

Reaction score
I must say I'm really looking forward to this gamemode. The twitch videos and live stream looks really cool.
SWAT 4 is one of my all time favourite games and it will be awesome to play a custom Garry's Mod version of the game!

Reaction score
As to anyone wondering why this seems to have stalled, it is mostly because I have recently been devoting my focus on our main gamemode again for the time being. I still do plan on going through with it and finishing it up, but for now I have other priorities so this will sit on the back burner for now. Also it's mostly to the point I hate most, making a usable interface as well as trying to do any sort of match making/setting people up for teams and such. Anyways just thought you all should know this isn't abandoned, just on hiatus for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.