28/06/20 - Community-Wide Bans Information

Reaction score
  • Staff

28/06/2020 - Community-Wide Bans Information

As you all know, tonight a few bans have taken place, including well-known community members such as Mage, Aquaa, and Kenty. These bans were issued by @Fredy following a shoutbox discussion regarding a recent ban getting out of control. The situation escalated to the shoutbox becoming filled with toxicity to the point where it was uncontrollable by staff. Bans were given for these reasons, and the severity of the bans were increased due to the major situation this caused.

Fredy's approach of community-wide bans was a big move to tackle toxicity, and many of the banned players are repeat offenders, a few already with very long server bans. The behavior that was displayed in shoutbox earlier today was unacceptable, as a staff team and a community, we have no prejudices towards ethnic groups or sexual orientation. However, this does not give members an excuse to post photos such as the ones posted today, with the sole intention of taking the piss, mocking, or making fun of these groups.
We want to create a welcoming environment in this community and such behavior cannot be tolerated, especially due to the various community members who are part of these minority groups.

The majority of the bans given today were due to instigating the situation, mainly by those who aren't active on the server and are known for causing problems, or simply continuing the situation and jumping on the bandwagon when it was obvious people were being punished. The bans were looked over by myself, @TinySlayer and @Fredy after they were given, and those who were active and generally not ones to cause issues were unbanned.

Although this was a harsh approach to the situation, it was necessary to tackle the toxicity within this community and I hope that you can all understand.

Thanks.

Dom_,
Community Manager.

Reaction score
uncontrollable by staff
Wouldn't some early forum bans and a prune or 2 avoid the whole thing though? Then again I'm not staff I wouldn't know.

Reaction score
i'm not gonna talk about others but i got banned for literally nothing, i didn't post anything in shoutbox related to what the others posted and i still received a CWB. received a ban for metagaming which was removed as it was false (few weeks ago), just shows the state of the staff team

Reaction score
i dont think you got a cwb if you're still on forums dan

View previous replies…
Reaction score
I really see where you are going with this, but it still wasn't done right. Another member posted the same type of stuff 2 times and nobody gave a shit, his messages just got deleted. I thought that transparency is a thing here and that all toxic people should get what they deserve. If you want to have the name feel free to forum pm me or smthn, but I am extremely dissapointed in the promises that were given earlier this month.

Reaction score
As most of you know I usually do not get involved with staff decisions or banning people. This is mostly because I'd much rather dedicate the time that I do spend here on developing for the server.
However, there are some days where I do peek in the shoutbox and all I see is the same old people - people who are more often than not banned from the server for very good reason - spam toxic things in the shoutbox. Be it racist/homophobic memes or things that are clearly aimed at harassing certain community members.
Usually I do tolerate some of this behaviour, but today has reached such massive levels that it was too much for me and I could no longer just watch.
As a community we simply cannot accept toxic behaviour as was on display today. What do you think a new player who signs up to the forum thinks when the shoutbox is just full of these types of things constantly? It's not good for the community or for the server, so we needed to put an end to this.

Now as many of you would rightly ask, why should we community wide ban these people rather just handing out more lenient bans?
Most of the people were banned from the server already and were just trolling in the shoutbox. When you are already banned and clearly don't care about changing your behaviour then I don't see any reason to keep you around.
Many others are players who do not even play the server anymore and seemingly are only active in the shoutbox. If you come here just to be toxic, then I don't see how that helps the community, especially considering you don't even play on the server.

If you feel like you were just caught in the crossfire and were just trying to post funny pictures and didn't know when to stop, then feel free to appeal with me directly.

Some replies to people who posted in this thread;

@Lelios1 Many of the banned users have been posting racist/homophobic posts/images in the shoutbox for quite some time and I am frankly not sure why we did not ban them for it earlier. That is my only regret in this whole matter.

@DANIEL_: You were banned because you posted a ban appeal for someone that reposted the image they were banned for, which made it seem you were just trolling and making a ban appeal just to post the image. After some discussion we did give you the benefit of the doubt in this case and unbanned you.

@Jay_: No one here thinks that we can just solve racism/homophobia by changing an avatar, which is just a symbol and achieves nothing. Banning people who are actively engaging in racist/homophobic behaviour at least ensures that our community does not become a harbor for these people.

@thehomelessdude: If other people act in a similar fashion to the people who got banned today, please send me evidence and it will be dealt with appropriately.

View previous replies…
Reaction score
In response to your response to jay, I don't think that's the reason why changing the logo/avatar is done. Some people think just because Xbox, Gillette, Facebook or whatever change their logos for a few weeks that they're solving the issue.
As someone who's obviously heavily involved in the LGBT community I can speak on behalf of quite a few people when I say it's the small gestures that can mean a lot.
It's simply stating 'we acknowledge you and your struggles'. It happens in everyday life to. When my friends or myself walk into a store with a partner holding his hand. A simple smile or nod from customers/staff can make the difference between feeling comfortable in that location or having to guess whether it's a tolerant of accepting place. And most people don't like to wait.

Just my two cents :)

View previous replies…
Reaction score
You’re telling me we banned toxic players and I survived the purge? I’m so fucking reformed.

View previous replies…
Reaction score
Freedom of speech

View previous replies…
Reaction score
Did this dude say freedom of speech in a gmod roleplaying forum?
Do you understand what freedom of speech is LMFAOOOO

Reaction score
nonces, racists, homophobes begone

Good to see the community manager is actually beneficial, now we're just told why something happened, not left to speculate or listen to rumours until the staff team think there're too many.

big ups Dominic

Reaction score

Deleted member 6228

While I appreciate you taking the time to ban all these toxic people, I don't really think CWB for people just spamming a shoutbox is going to help player count in the long term

Reaction score
Half of the players didn’t play and simply caused issues, good riddance

View previous replies…
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought the monthly shoutbox revolution was taking longer than expected. Finally arrived I see.

Reaction score
Mine was the best in 2019

View previous replies…